Over the weekend I read the readings except for the last few pages, which turned out to be about the games we have been asked to play-- Kabul Kaboom, Madrid, and September 12. So, now that I have read the part where Ian Bogost talks about September 12, I want to go back and revisit September 12.
I like I mentioned in the previous post that the game has no beginning and no end, Bogost says "September 12 continues indefinitely; no goals or completion states are suggested or imposed." (p. 86) He goes on to talk about the process of the game where the villagers and terrorists move through the village, you destroy buildings by bombing them but they rebuilding themselves over time, and the villagers mourn their dead fellow villagers morph into terrorists. Bogost goes on to say "the tool the game provides for combating terrorism," which I mention above, "is revealed to be a sham-- using missiles to root out terrorists only destroys innocent lives." (p. 87) He even goes so far as to say "September 12 claims that this logic of counter terrorism is broken; no one is made any safer by following it, and in fact more innocent lives are lost." (p. 87) Maybe he is correct......
Week 14: Summing Up
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment